Pastor James will post his Sermon Study Questions every Tuesday with the previous Sunday’s sermon. Our hope is for these study questions to promote deeper personal study and further edify our church body.
Sermon Study Questions – November 12, 2023
1. Read 1 Corinthians 5:1-13
2. Though we often associate this passage with the sin of sexual immorality that it revolves around, the focus of it is actually upon the church’s lax attitude towards it. Thus, this passage becomes one of the principle passages in the NT regarding church discipline. Why is it that you think church discipline is such an ignored topic in the church today?
3. Who is, and who isn’t subject to church discipline? (Think about the particular distinction that was repeatedly made in the sermon).
4. What is excommunication, and what does it involve? What does Paul mean by saying “I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler– not even to eat with such a one.”
5. What typically precedes excommunication? Where do we see this in the text?
6. Why is church discipline necessary?
7. What does Paul mean by saying that we (the church) don’t judge those outside, but it is those inside the church we are to judge?
8. Why is it that church membership is necessary for the proper exercise of church discipline?
9. What practical application can you make from this text/sermon?
Q. 100. What special things are we to consider in the Ten Commandments?
A. We are to consider in the Ten Commandments, the preface, the substance of the Commandments themselves, and the several reasons annexed to some of them the more to enforce them.